Monday, March 12, 2007

"HI, I'm Really A Sneaker"


privo crush
Originally uploaded by Peacebang.

Uh-oh, ya'll, it's BLACK FLATS SHOE WARS!

But seriously, we all know how hard it is to find a suitable black flat shoe, so some of you are writing in with your recommendations. The most recent pitch was rejected by many of you for being too expensive and cutesy, and now I must reject these as being too much the wolf in sheep's clothing known as "Hi, I'm a Sneaker dressed up like a shoe."

Hi, Sneaker. You ain't fooling me. I know a sneaker when I see one, and though I would love you for the office and my day off, you would not be seeing the inside of my sanctuary, no way, no how.

That goes for you, too, Privo Colada,

privo colada

You're adorable as can be, and I might take you home, but you're not to be worn with skirts or at serious professional appearances.

And you, too, Privo Comice, even in black. You can't fool me. I know a sneaker cut like a real shoe when I see one:

privo comice pear

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a pair of Ferragamos that I bought six years ago. They cost a lot (and with the dollar so low against the euro, they would be much more expensive today), but they still look beautiful and brand new. Ferragamo doesn't make anything like them now. They were a flat with a little bow. They look great with dresses and I can wear them in the pulpit and look great.

If you are buying a classic style, it's worth the money to get something that will last. So far, the shoes have cost me $40 a year. My usual flat of choice wears out in a year (of course, I wear it a lot more) and so while it is about $50 per pair, costs me much more in the long run.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Leap of Faith said...

Dear PB:

Speak to me of spring coats. I am screwing up the courage to purchase a new spring coat.

My current one is what you would undoubtedly call yards 'n yards of fabric - a too-long black coat that almost sweeps my ankles.

I have resisted buying the cute above-the-knee dress coats, as I worry how they will look with skirts & jackets or dresses, which are all much longer. Any advice?

Rev. Gidget

2:58 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I have worn both my black and my camel brown pairs with pant suits to preach on a Sunday a.m. and received compliments, from women and men in business in NY City, home of the uncomfortable, chic, classy shoe. They're sneakers with style.

Besides, I thought the whole idea was being able to carry off a sense of style (i.e., having confidence) without being wed to fashion.

5:15 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Gidg, you would great in a TRENCH!
Look at Nautica, and see if you can get a hold of the latest "In Style," which I think had a feature on spring trenches.

You're in DE, so you don't need anything really warm, right? I see you in a smart navy trench. Another option for you might be something that has a neat vintage 1950's open collar -- very feminine, very nice on you.

For God's sake, girl, you shouldn't be wearing anything that sweeps yer ankles! Save that for when you serve the congregation in Siberia, when you can pair it with a huge fur hat and stride around with your wolfhounds.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone tried to convince me just Sunday after worship that the shoes you pictured(sneakers)would be perfect for me.

I'm recovering from ACL replacement (knee surgery) and have sacrificed myself to maintain a level of decorum. Refusing to wear my New Balances in the pulpit, I have people practically begging me to go with the faux black flats (aka sneakers) look. Please advise when you return from Bang Family vacation.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home