Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fashion At Fifty

Aside from some Boomer whining about how "our generation" did this and that for the first time, bla bla bla, this is a peachy little article:

http://lifestyle.msn.com/BeautyandFashion/StayingYoung/ArticleMORE.aspx?cp-documentid=496554&GT1=8175

I agree with the dame who says, "I don't care how fit these women are; their clothes don't match their faces."

I happen to think that being a stylish fifty is ALL about confidence, achievement, life experience, a sly sexy knowing, humor, laugh lines (and some frown lines, too), and a classic look with hair that's a bit out of control.

My cousin Roni is rather my idol of being a cool 50 year old beauty: she's gorgeous and still maintains a bit of the old hippie vibe in her wild long hair, but her attire is classic classic classic rock-and-roll. Like gorgeously fitted jeans, fabulous boots and a great Italian leather jacket with a fitted t-shirt and one stunning gold chain. She has huge rings from places like Turkey, and she doesn't walk, she strides. She speaks in an insolent drawl and has a dirty laugh.
I adore her look. Effortless chic.

I think fifty is about putting away the "fun" prints that make us look lamely youthful and keeping major wardrobe pieces classic and streamlined, with a lot of personality in the accessories. A great black suit with leopard print pumps. A cashmere sweater over perfectly fitted, boot-cut dark denim jeans with an enormous bangle or two, or three. A crisp white blouse under a navy blazer with flattering slash cut pockets and thousands of pearls around your neck and movie star sunglasses. Let the girls look like pieces of candy. You look like a woman. Show 'em how it's done.

When I was in Italy ten years ago I bought some smashing black jet buttons and had my tailor put them on a black blazer. I'll have that blazer forever. It's a smashing, flattering, classic cut and everytime I wear it (when I'm not too chubby to fit into it -- something that happens every few years) I feel like the fifty year old woman I'm going to be someday: independent, accomplished, generous of size and of spirit, creative, courageous, naughty with just a tiny touch of glamour wherever possible.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been threatening for years to publish tipe on how to add interest to clergy clothing for women--I am so glad that I found this blog.
BTW I turn 50 next week,

6:45 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Bless your heart and happy birthday! Welcome to PeaceBang's Beauty Tips for Ministers!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home