Friday, October 06, 2006

PeaceBang Answers Your Questions

Lovely and giving people,

PeaceBang would be happy to answer some questions you asked in recent comments.

First, to the ivory-gowned preacher, black pumps are just fine. Please do resist the temptation to be a pretty princess in sparkly wedding shoes, that's a girl. PeaceBang herself would love to wear a tiara on special preaching occasions, but she feels that this would not only bring the wrath of her Puritan religious forebears upon her, but that it just might be perceived as undignified. She may just go ahead and buy a tiara for private wear only, to thrill her Inner Little Diva.
That said, we do not need to match our shoes to our robe. Better to wear lovely black pumps with an ivory robe than scuffed ivory flats with an ivory robe.

Friar Tuck, dear friend, what you wear under your robe does matter, I'm afraid. Because at some point, you will be taking off that robe and interacting with the beloved community. And you need to be polished for that moment. T-shirts, jeans, hopelessly rumped garments, sneakers, all inappropriate. Sandals are up to you, but not with hairy fungus toes, please. There are oodles of other recommendations in the archives here. You are welcome to scroll merrily through them.

Queen Amidhala (I can't spell it), let PeaceBang confess to you that her own favorite preaching robes were modeled after Keana Reeves' costume from "The Matrix." PeaceBang's lovely and talented church seamstress studied the matter and found that the pattern for "The Matrix" Halloween costume was the closest thing she could find to the line and cut that she wanted. So you just rock on with your Queen Amidalah self. We should all have an understanding of the history of vestments. We are responsible for that. We should know what we are wearing, what tradition we are evoking by what we wear, and where we are introducing innovations in vestments. (investments!! hee hee !) Those innovations should not be capricious or indulgent, but should make sense for our tradition and our office. This is a serious matter.

Geneva gowns were designed for men. PeaceBang owns one, but feels no obligation to wear one every Sunday, any more than she feels obligated to-- and please excuse her indelicacy here -- pee standing up. She could, but to do so would be most unbecoming to her as a lady, as that particular arrangement works far better for a man's physique. Thus it is with Geneva gowns.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(from the ivory robed preacher, who is still actually a seminarian and candidate) Thank you so much for your support of black pumps with ivory robe. And of course I wouldn't really wear sparkly shoes (or my tiara, which stays safely tucked at home) when preaching...I swear on either the Bible or the 7 principles, take your pick. I'll wait for ornamentation until I'm ordained and I can wear some fabulous stoles. :)

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the big black academic robe that was a gift from my first internship church. I love it as a piece of church history and of my own development. At the same time, I needed something lighter, especially for summer weddings. I found a wonderful choir robe from one of the church catalogs - standard robe pattern with wide open sleeves that come to a point at the bottom. I chose one in white with burgundy piping on the cuffs. Yes, there is a certain angelic look to it. The cut allows for great freedom of movement. Combined with a colorful stole, I look sufficiently different from even the whitest wedding gown that no one gets confused. And there is something to be said for breaking up the usual company of black robes during an installation.

The robe was an ordination gift, but even so, it was much less expensive than the usual clergy robes - somewhere around $130, I believe. And it still is quite white after six years and saying hello to many children.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I am not sure if this has been part of the discussion but there is company that makes vestments for Women called Women Spirit. They have everything from robes to collars and stoles. I have the Esther with a black yoke and cuffs.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Stole & Frogs said...

PeaceBang - I'm newish to BeautyTips, so perhaps you've covered this is a previous post, but since you're doin' a little Q&A today...could you say something about appropriate (and less than such) lengths of ministerial skirts?

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PeaceBang,

If you find a good tiara, please post where you found it. I have been promised a tiara when I file my PhD dissertation, and since I do fully intend to wear it to my seminary classes for at least a month after filing, I want to make sure it's an attractive one.

:)

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home