Saturday, October 07, 2006

Zulu Glass Beads

On her way home from a wedding this afternoon, PeaceBang stopped into a little store that specializes in indigenous art and fell in love with zulu grass beads. They are made by Masai women and fairly traded to this particular shopkeeper by the son and daughter-in-law of anthropologists. For $8 a strand, I picked myself out some gorgeous colors and was delighted by all the ways I can wear them. They can also hold pendants, become bracelets, and just rock out a plain, tailored outfit.

I don't know if this company fairly trades these beautiful beads, but this is what they look like:
http://www.evensisters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=1222

I bought reds and oranges, and one strand of purple to wear with some purple and pink pendants I already own.

You can twist them into chokers, or you can pull them down so that they cascade and fill in a tailored neckline. I intend to wear them with white blouses and tailored blazers, boot cut pants and bronze cowboy boots.

They're just yummy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home