Saturday, May 06, 2006

On Nails

Sister of PeaceBang is all upset because she went on a date with a man who had seriously objectionable nail beds.

The thing is, PeaceBang knows just what she meant.

A quote directly from Sister,

"Some people are born with good nail beds! And it's kind of Scandinavian, I think. But if you're not born with beautiful hands you should do something about it, like trim your nails so that they're not all pinched and grown together at the tips and all fragile and papery looking! And then push back your cuticles to let your nail beds breathe! It's just a shame! People from the Midwest, I think, have good nail beds."

Fellas, take a look. If you need a manicure, don't be too much a man to admit it.
My father used to say that when he interviewed someone he always looked at their nails first and that greatly influenced his decision. He said that chewed, raggedy nails were the sign of a secret neurotic.

[Sister of PeaceBang knows that she sounds like a total nut, but as she says, "It's okay because no one knows who I am, and at least I'm entertaining."]

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kitty said...

There's nothing wrong with nice nails--I wish people from all walks of life would heed your advice, PB. I once read that your fingernails and toenails show others--even before you open your mouth to speak--how you feel about yourself, and how you take care of not just your body, but all your other concerns. I keep my fingernails neat and short, buffed w/o polish (it chips too much with all the blackboard work I do) and toenails painted a nice bright color (winter just brings reg pedicures but no polish).

Somehow, the minister who cares for her/his nails is just more comforting. Maybe I'm being narrow-minded on this one...I dunno.

11:47 AM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I have naturally nice nailbeds but I think it's genetic because I hardly do anything for my hands but put lotion on them!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wisdom of PB's father rings true and has stuck in my mind since I first heard it many moons ago. Having been on the losing side of the nail-biting temptation for many years, I am finally on the winning side and have been so for months.

Now I am in the world of the occasional manicure, and I have found a great place to be pampered along with taking care of the nails. The benefits are about more than appearance. Having someone else take care of my hands is wonderful - even for just a few minutes a month. I seldom realize how much tension lives in a part of my body that is so essential in ministry.

It is worth the time to find a good place for manicures, too. I shopped around and found a world of difference between what I received for the same price.

Thanks, PB!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home