Thursday, November 09, 2006

Right Proportions


DSCN2655
Originally uploaded by Peacebang.
This dishy lady attended the REVIVAL conference in NYC and I just had to photograph her. She's a lay woman from England who definitely knows how to put together an outfit *even though she's living out of a suitcase.*

Look how things fit her. Granted, she has a terrific figure, but that's just icing on the cake. The fitted shell, the jacket that falls perfectly at wrist and hip, the skirt that hugs her curves and then falls right below the knee to show terrific boots. We can see a bit of flesh on her upper half, so she isn't entirely shrouded in fabric.

Study, learn, ruminate. If you were wondering how to wear knee-high boots, ladies, this is how: not clomping around under yards and yards of fabric that hits you at the ankle and makes you look as though you're being swallowed by the Big Cloth Monster.

One thing I just love is that she's actually touching her hair in that universal gesture of "how do I look?"

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I've been looking for a fitted, zippered jacket just like that, in black. Any suggestions as to where I might find one? It's a nice alternative to the more formal buttoned blazer and the more casual and not quite as stylish cardigan.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Psalmist said...

I've been wanting to get something similar, Anita, so I just went looking. Disappointment! So far, here's the only thing I found (it's in the UK), but it looks very similar to the red jacket in PB's post:
http://www.lucyalice.co.uk/smx/toscano/toscano/

6:49 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Thank you for that link. It's maddening how something so simple can be hard to find. Laura Bennett from Project Runway wears a jacket like this that she undoubtedly made herself so maybe she will include one in her line someday (http://flickr.com/photos/34349520@N00/293887615/in/set-72157594369376230/)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Psalmist said...

Sad to say, I got a very similar jacket in navy, with coordinating navy trousers and skirt, at Kohl's two years ago. Like you, I'd like a similar jacket in black, especially since I've dropped almost two sizes now and NEED some new wardrobe staples that fit. I did come across a couple of things in moleskin, but they looked kind of cheap and poorly made.

It might be possible to find a pattern and good fabric and get a seamstress/tailor to make it for you.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Psalmist said...

I was rather impressed with the LucyAlice site, especially with the variety of lengths and sizes available and how they matched up coordinating pieces. US designers and retailers could take a lesson.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

To my great surprise I found a jacket like this today at a consignment store. It's navy, not black, but it's a start, anyway.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Psalmist said...

Hey...we're "twin-kies!" Except I swim in my jacket now. Good problem to have, I guess, except when I need to wear something nice.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home