Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fashion Emergency!

I got this breathless inquiry from a reader north of the border:

Dear PeaceBang,

I'm precandidating with a search committee this weekend (pray for me please). But I'm having an urgent fashion question. I am going to be wearing a blazer or sportscoat while I'm socializing and dining with the committee, as well as during the interview. Do I keep the jacket on while eating at the table? Do I remove it?(In the past, with congregants, I've kept it on but want to make sure I do the right thing with this search committee! Will I look stuffy? Too casual if I cast it off and sling it on the back of my chair?)Help!
Yours, PPTC"


My dear and lovely PPTC,

First of all, mazel tov on precandidating!! What a wonderful opportunity, and may you and the search committee fall in that special kind of love that every minister wants to feel with a search committee (so different from the kind of love that a flamenco dancer feels for a good-looking matador, but still very special).

As I seriously ponder your question, this comes to mind: You must not get soup on your cuffs.

You only have this one jacket and you only have this once chance to make an impression. So why not wear a V-necked sweater over the shirt for dinner, tuck the tie into the sweater, and if it's a casual-enough restaurant, take off your jacket with an air of confident boldness and say, "It's nice and warm in here. How lovely to get in out of the cold. May I take anyone's coat?" There. You've just gotten rid of your own jacket, and you've modeled good manners and servant leadership. Hanging up some of the search committee's coats will give you a moment to yourself, and best of all, no soup on your jacket or tie.

Let us know how it goes. And gentlemen readers, if I've made a gaffe here, I do hope you'll write in immediately and remedy the situation.

Much love and many blessings,
PeaceBang

P.S. You weren't going to go with Valentine's Day colors or anything, were you? DON'T!!
happy valentines day
::::cackle, cackle:::

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Leap of Faith said...

For extra comfort and reassurance in matters of spillage, dunking or other disasters, I recommend the fabulous Tide detergent stick. It's slightly larger than a pen, and has bailed me out of grape-juice-dribbled-on-white-shirt, and green-plastic-goop-squirted-onto- favorite-gray-slacks. (Don't ask.) I am a chronic spiller, and this REALLY helps.

Good luck with pre-candidating!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another tip for avoiding meal splatter on ties: gently roll the tie and tuck into the shirt pocket. This not only looks cool and keeps the tie clean but when I do it, most people have not seen the trick and it is a perfect opportunity for a witty quip. This works without having to wear a sweater. You don't want to be too warm and sweat all over the committee!

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home