Thursday, March 01, 2007

PeaceBang Probably on "Nightline" Tonight, ABC

Vicki On Nightline 2007
Well, Powder Pigeons, a big kiss of peace to you for making this such a wild adventure.

It's very likely that I will be appearing on "Nightline" tonight on ABC, 11:35 EST. I will be hearing from the producer, Nancy Cordes, after the 11:00 meeting today, but I wanted to post this before I leave for the church and get too busy with all that the rest of the day has in store.

I won't be watching when it airs -- I'll save that for later, when I can be with supportive friends and perhaps a Manhattan -- but I hope you'll let me know how you think I did speaking to the integrity of ministry and the necessity of taking our image seriously.

Ministry is like this: You get your heart, soul, body and mind prepared, you show up and do the best you can to communicate the love of God and the relevancy of religious life, you go home and make some soup and start on another task, and you accept that much of what happens is the work of the Holy Spirit, and not you. You tank, you soar, you really have no way of knowing much of the time -- meanwhile, life goes on and you are called to keep showing up for all of it. Of course we care about style and image, all because that shines a light on our ultimate Christian vocation, to clothe ourselves in love. Thank you, Saul of Tarsus.

Tomorrow: a day-long workshop on Prophetic Spirituality at Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge. So looking forward to it! Will I see any of you there?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

You look so cute in those photographs! Why will you be on Nightline tonight - are they featuring Beauty Tips, or is this about UUism?

If you do, you can then add, "As featured on Nightline ..." to your bio, like all the famous peoples do!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! A Manhattan indeed. Very good idea to watch it with friends. Calms the nerves.

I posted a query in the comments on the Meryl Streep post last night -- when you have time to address it (today is probably not the day, what with TV and all) I would love to hear your insights and resources on this.

Okay everyone, how soon after Nightline does PB start getting phone calls about the book contract? Wanna bet?

12:19 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

CD, saw it. It's a very big and serious inquiry and will take some time to get to.

LaReina, it's totally about Beauty Tips, not at all about UUism. I hope you enjoy !

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations PeaceBang! Thank you for raising the profile of Unitarian Universalism (and helping all of us look more attractive and approachable in the process).

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks re: reading my inquiry. It is indeed a big issue and I expect it will take some research. Don't rush. And be very good to yourself after the TV show. All this is demanding (remember the stress questionnaires on how good stress is still stress?) even if it involves fame and happiness, and my goodness, you are still a full-time pastor. I think bubble baths and massages will be in order.

Congratulations again on the TV appearance and on your ministry to defrumpifying the American clergy.

Very nice photo, by the way!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home