Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Summer Uglies

PeaceBang sighs and mopes this time of year, as she loves the summer but frankly looks like hell in typical summer clothes. And the heat and humidity wreaks God's own vengeance on her hair and make-up.

Professionally she sticks pretty much to white blouses, cool cotton skirts (sometimes showing some gams, sometimes not) and cute pumps or sandals. When off-duty, she sticks to jeans, t-shirts and cotton scarves in her hair (or fun caps). But what about those in-between occasions, when a girl wants to look polished but not ministerial, and not like her most casual running-errands-flopping-around-the-house self?

What about, for example, going on a DATE?

What about going on a DATE in the SUMMER when you HATE your upper arms and they should never been seen in public and you don't want to over-do the cleavage because that's just OBVIOUS and it's too casual an occasion to wear a cute skirt to, and you'd just about KILL to be able to wear a sexy camisole but you just can't because there are those ARMS to deal with? And what about the HAIR? How to manage the HAIR? Meanwhile your date looks perfectly adorable in just Levi 501's and a t-shirt while you can't find a THING in your closet and it's also too hot to wear your reliable constricting undergarments and my God, what if it should get to PAJAMAS or even, my Lord, less than that, like SWIMMING SUITS? And you can't very well wear a PAREO INTO the POOL, can you, and they don't make swimsuits with LONG SLEEVES. So you know you'll just have to keep having dates in clubs or restaurants with air-conditioning and pray he likes you well enough to make it through the season into fall, when really, you're just much cuter.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to PeaceBang's First Official Summer Meltdown.

Please, I beg you to comment. I might have a date soon.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could anyone doubt that you are fabulous in every season? I have no worries, PB.

What about finding a new and fun shade of gloss that is to be refreshed as needed and won't bleed? Or the cotton skirts that are meant to be very casual and to keep you cool in the summer? And since none of us are supposed to be in the sun, a little loose sleeve is a wise choice and can be romantic - gauzy, but no shapless camp shirts! IMHO

11:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found some really cute and relatively inexpensive cotton skirts at Old Navy in a wide range of sizes yesterday. Just trying summer things on nearly gives me the vapors, but this shopping trip went well. They had a number of lightweight and fairly adorable pseudo-jackets for the upper arm camouflaging I desire, if not require, much better than shawls or ponchos because they nip in at the waist.
Now, these are not sturdily made clothes, as I'm sure you will already know. But I would bet they could get you through a date or two and help bridge the gap to autumn. And I suspect some more upscale store would have similar items that are better made. I just haven't looked yet.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5438&pid=385343
or
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5438&pid=385372
The second one also came in some charming prints.

11:42 PM  
Blogger aola said...

I had my melt down last weekend when I tried to go swimmimg at a hotel pool with my kids... I had even bought a new cute tankini with boy shorts but just couldn't make myself walk thru the lobby and into the pool room with these old lady legs and arms hanging out.. I just couldn't do it.

11:48 PM  
Blogger fausto said...

Aw, quitcherbellyachin. A date with the wrong clothes is better than no date with fabulous clothes.

7:40 AM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

What about some cropped pants and one of those lightweight bohemian type shirts with the loose but angular sleeves?

11:45 AM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Hafhida, I just remembered that I got a devastatingly sexy bohemian shirt and it's at the tailors getting the sleeves shortened! You are a genius! Total first date material!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home