Sunday, November 26, 2006

Garments of Praise

From the archives of PeaceBang's other blog:

http://peacebang.blogspot.com/2005/09/garments-of-praise.html

Oh heavens. What was I thinking? Was I kidding, or was I serious when I posted that?

At any rate, being the responsible fashion blogger that I am today and considering the beauty and appropriateness of my religious superstars out there, I don't think pink silk jackets with above-the knee-skirts and t-strap pumps makes for appropriate vestments. Cute as can be for a holiday party, maybe, but not for church.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I checked out the website, and I agree these garments would be out of place in a Unitarian Universalist church. They do seem perfectly normal to me, though. People dress like this all the time in so-called black churches. One look at the men's attire page and it is clear that these African inspired designs are targeted for African descended pastors, preachers, etc.

1:06 AM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

Pardon - meant to say "targeted TO" instead of "targeted for."

1:06 AM  
Blogger Lilylou said...

I am curious about what modesty cloths are. Do you know? I do think the vestments are fabulous, though more ornate than I would wear. Gorgeous!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was intrigued by "modesty cloths" too. I found this reference on a web site about how to minister in the Holy Spirit and I bet this is it:

Limit confusion around the altar. Ministering the baptism in the Holy Spirit is not a group event. It can be confusing to have several people gathered around the seeker, all touching him or her and all praying out loud. A spiritual committee is a poor substitute for one anointed vessel.

Ushers should understand that they are there to facilitate smooth traffic at the altar. They can assist by providing modesty cloths for those who may have fallen to the floor.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home