Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Body Shop Stay-On Lipcolor: Stay Away!

PeaceBang is sorry to have to give a big, huge thumbs way down to the Body Shop's Stay On Lipcolor:

http://tinyurl.com/yg22tm

This is the worst product I've tried in a long time, and I've tried a lot.

The lipcolor is incredibly dry, it takes vigorous pumping to even get a little bit of color onto the wand, and the gloss doesn't work at all!

I ask you, how hard is it to engineer a little sponge that goes into a little tube of lip goo? Apparently VERY hard, requiring truly great minds, because the Body Shop designers couldn't seem to figure it out.

PeaceBang spent five minutes stabbing the little sponge applicator into the glossy side of the product as her lip color dried, and all to no avail. Some of the gloss flang itself out of the container and got on her lap, causing her to scream in alarm, but very little gloss actually got on the sponge applicator. She kept dragging the sponge over her lips in a sad but hopeful way, as a trained chimp might do in an experiment. The applicator was dry and scratchy. Ouch! When was the last time you were INJURED BY A LIP GLOSS?

Avoid this inferior, overpriced product like the plague and stay with CoverGirl Outlast All Day lipcolors, PeaceBang's perennial fave. It smells yicky as it dries, but after it dries and you slick that topcoat on, you're good for thousands of hours -- even through two Christmas Eve services with a meal in between.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I've looked at the lip colors, enjoyed the range of shades for Cargo eyeshadow, and even worn my set of Mary Kay colors for events beyond my wedding. But I have little tolerance for the taste of lipstick, and eye makeup always seems to drift into my eyes and irritate - thus defeating the purpose of highlighting the eyes. I'm happy with my Mary Kay Timewise cleanser and moisturizer - this is the first combination of products to leave me blemish-free. I enjoy switching between lip balms - standard Chapstick spf 30 with a faint taste of lemon Italian ice and a recent find of Merry Hempsters organic hemp balm in peppermint. But I'm thinking about something more for lips and for eyes. Burt's Bees has lip shimmers that are pleasantly minty but have little staying power and can be too sparkly in the lighter shades.

All this is to ask - what products have the best taste, staying power, and are least irritating? And what is the minimum of products for someone who has not so much patience for wearing makeup at all?

Thanks!

11:25 AM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

Jinnis,
Good questions, all. I have tried many lipsticks, but as you say, they tend not to last. I tried the all-day lipstick PB recommended, but it tasted so terrible to me that I couldn't bear to use it more than a few times. (It also didn't last for me; maybe I talk too much?) I think the taste must have something to do with their "lasting" overcoat because I had a similar experience with another (non lasting) long-lasting color stick.

My best success with lipsticks has resulted from applying them with a brush. Being a black person, I have fuller lips than the average non-black person and it really doesn't seem that lipstick applicators are designed for people who have more than thin lines for a mouth. I believe I'm cheating by using a little, flat, horsehair-type eyelid brush. Teehee.

I wear very little makeup. I use Bare Escentuals foundation (warm tan), warmth, and eyelash stuff. I really like their lipsticks and lip liners. They are not shimmery and come in natural colors. Does it last forever? Not at all, but I've found a little goes a long way with them. I can also apply their lip color and not have to chew gum for the new few hours.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can also apply their lip color and not have to chew gum for the new few hours."

Great comparison!

Thanks for the reminder about the brush, lareinacobre. I learned about such a technique long ago in my first foray into lipstick but the memory was buried.

I have been thinking about bare minerals but I hesitate to spend more money on something I may use a few times and then have to toss once it has grown old. Good to hear you like it.

10:00 AM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Jin, I'm afraid it's such a personal thing that a lot of trial and error is the best way to find products that work and stay on.

I don't like Clinique, and I don't like Almay. I tend to have good luck with Maybelline and Cover Girl eye make-up, while Chanel is too expensive and doesn't impress. Neither does Estee Lauder.

Let me post on this. xoxo V

7:23 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

HS, you're the exact thing that all cosmetics folks recommend to make lipstick look its best and stay the longest: apply with a brush. Good for you! I never take the time to do it, but then again I'm wearing that horrid-tasting lipstick you hate! :-)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Berrysmom said...

Gosh, I've been using the Body Shop stuff for a year, since picking one up for cheap while Christmas shopping last year. I figured the problem was that it was old or something. Still, it stayed on well.

Then I read this post and rushed right out and got the Cover Girl Stay On for Centuries product and I love it! A soft spongy-thing! Lots of choices of colors! Stays on for centuries!

And best of all, my daughter uses it, too, and she has about the prettiest mouth anyone could imagine. I am in SUCH good company!

Thanks, PB.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PB, may I ask about the covergirl porduct?? Is it REALLY that good, thanks 1000000

6:12 AM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

LaLaLoo, I use it every day and layer it with other colors and glosses, but it's great on its own.

CoverGirl Outlast All Day!! It rocks forever!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home