Friday, January 05, 2007

Dry Flyaways: An Interfaith Clergy Issue

Taking a deep breath and tearing my mind away from my gorgeous, fashion-forward cat (on her, stripes are always slimming, and she is a veritable whiz with the eye pencil), I turn my attention to a serious problem among some of the most venerable Boston-area clergy, as evidenced by yesterday's televised interfaith worship service in celebration of Deval Patrick's gubernatorial inauguration :

DRY FLYAWAYS.

Now, far be it for me to say anything, because I was just there with the ENTERTAINMENT (seriously, when I showed up to join my group, Sweet the Sound, the usher referred to me as ENTERTAINMENT, which I adored. It made me feel like Doris Day in her early chanteuse years, slipping through the side door into the nightclub in search of the really crummy little dressing room). I was not processing with the rest of the venerable clergy, but I sure did have a great front row seat to watch them all make their entrance.

We had Episocpal Bishops and UCC Conference Ministers and Unitarian Universalist Presidents and Catholic Cardinals And Muslim leaders and Chief Rabbis and Wampanoag Elders and more people I can't recall and wow, it was a colorful and impressive assemblage.

However, PeaceBang couldn't help but notice that while the vestments were resplendent and the smiles mostly large and genuine, there was an awful lot of dry, flyaway winter hair going on. She watched with great respect as all these religious leaders filed by singing "God Of The Ages Who With Sure Command" and thought to herself, "The only thing that could make this occasion more resplendent is a good pomade."

Really. You just take a dab in your hand, rub in between your palms and run your hands through your hair. It adds shine and polish and PeaceBang just wished she had packed some in her bag and could have done a quick Pomade Fix on everyone before the service began. Some people, who shall remain nameless, really needed a haircut. Someone else, who bought me a coffee at Starbucks before the service, had shiny and beautiful and gorgeously smooth hair, so we know it can be done.



PeaceBang recommends:

American Crew Pomade.
In a pinch, you can use a rich moisturizer.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Divine said...

Shea butter. Fab to have around. Works for dry hands, works when you're out of hair stuff (or when you're not), works for stretch marks, works for everything. Just plain shea butter, maybe the lightly scented with lavender kind, but nothing else in it. I find mine from a merchant at the local farmers' market, but I'm sure they have the same in health food stores too, with the healthy cosmetics. It's probably starting to show up in regular pharmacies too. Rub in hands to warm and liquefy a bit and then stroke your hair. Mmmm.

I saw in the Globe that Sweet the Sound was there! How cool. And what a great and hopeful celebration. Makes me want to move back to Massachusetts. But the job is here, not there, and a girl's gotta eat. :-b

12:58 PM  
Blogger betsy said...

I second (third?) the pure shea butter recommendation. I bought some (at a pastors convention in San Diego because we all got sunburned on driving in from Long Beach in the rented convertible). It's great with the dry unmanagables and also the only thing that has ever kept my sunburn from peeling. I'm a convert.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got2B playful texturizing Creme Pomade is the only one that does not make my hair oily by the end of the day. In fact, it seems to extend my hair's non-oiliness long past the normal au naturel grease-point. I find it at Eckerd's, probably available at any drugstore. Oh, and it smells like cookie dough or something sweet like that.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home