Thursday, April 05, 2007

Beauty Tips Is One Year Old This Week! Good Friday Attire

My dear and faithful powder pigeons,

Can you believe that BTFM is one year old this week?

It all started last year when I posted Make-Up For Ministers 101 on my regular blog and my sister said, "You have to start a separate blog for this." And I said, "Oh, don't be ridic. What would I have to say beyond about five posts?"
And she said, "There's tons of stuff to talk about! You'd love it!"
And I said "Nuh UH," and she said, "Yuh-HUH" and you know how it is with pushy big sisters.
She got her way, I came up with the thrillingly original name Beauty Tips For Ministers, and here we ARE.

I'm gearing up for Good Friday and Easter and have decided that I really like the posts I wrote a year ago, so for your reminiscence or fresh enjoyment, may we present from the Archives,

http://beautytipsforministers.blogspot.com/2006_04_09_archive.html!!

Enjoy!

Here in New England it's positively freezing, so any bright ideas I had about wearing cute little skirts for church this weekend are just shot to Hell. I may wear trousers for Good Friday services in the city. I won't be robed, I won't be sitting on any kind of dais, it's a very progressive community, and a black trousers-and-blazer combo should suit the occasion quite well.

I may wear a stole although I know my colleagues don't like it and it's not strictly kosher, you should forgive the expression.

I would love to wear a beautiful, fairly big cross I bought in Salt Lake City about 8 years ago, but there's something about wearing a beautiful empty cross on Good Friday that seems not quite appropriate. Too full of grace, too comforting, too triumphant. Maybe I should deny myself the pleasure of wearing the cross until Sunday. Maybe tomorrow should just be unadorned. Or...seriously... pearls?

It's a good thing I did start this blog, chickens, because honestly, where else could you ask that question and not fear getting stoned by a vindictive crowd?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger PeaceBang said...

Thank you, dearest.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As any gay man can tell you, you can't go wrong with a simple, single strand of pearls. Simple and slightly austere...

BJ

1:51 AM  
Blogger Tyrone Ferrara said...

Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. - Good Friday

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of pearls - I just found mine in the course of tax season cleaning. Honestly, my wardrobe felt incomplete without them.

A single strand for adornment sounds lovely.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, your beautiful cross sounds just fine for service. A stark, simple witness is still a witness.

As an ordained minister myself, in a denomination whose officiants do serve a priestly function on Good Friday, I respectfully disagree with the poster who claims that presiders do not serve a priestly function. Yes, we are commemorating the ultimate sacrifice of the High Priest, but the fact is that this High Priest is alive and living now. For this reason, we have communion on Good Friday services, too.
And we wear beautiful red stoles and red vestments on this day, too.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, PB-- was wondering what you make of Stacy's new solo show. I caught it late last Fri or Sat night after Mass. Not for nothing, but I find her constant use of "shut up" jarring, even when it's meant in a fun + sassy way. Does the world really need another tagline (or reason to be rude)?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if it lasted past the summer.

9:47 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Haven't seen it, anon, but I'll look for it.

And for anyone who cares: I wound up wearing black trousers and blazer on Good Friday. I wore a very low-cut V-necked shell underneath with a scarf tucked in the neckline as my only adornment (blue, black and white print). I kept the jacket open and wore a belt with a silver buckle, and black boots (I would have worn heels but had to take public transportation and walk up lots of stairs and stuff).

I was glad not to be vested. Lots of the other preachers were and I liked the variety of looks.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home