Friday, July 21, 2006

Mascara No-No's

PeaceBang would NEVER apply mascara in the car:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/20/fashion/20skinside.html?_r=1&oref=slogin,

but she does keep a tweezer in the little slot next to her left hand for chin touch-ups at stoplights. The light is SO GOOD in the car, you can catch all those nasty little witchy-poo whiskers that might inadvertently frighten one of your parishioners.

PeaceBang read just the other day in "In Touch" magazine (she was poolside, and had just finished a very serious religious book and was treating herself, I swear) that Miss Lindsay Lohan just won't leave the house without eyelash extensions. They're all the rage, and PeaceBang has been longing to try them, but she happens to think that spending $250 on big doe eyes is a bit ridiculous, even for her. Especially when the same effect can be had for $8 falsies from Sephora, for heaven's sake.

Let's not have any of you poking your eyes out in the car, now.

By the way, what are your favorite mascaras? I've been with CoverGirl's Remarkable Washable Waterproof brand (in black noir) for at least ten years now, and I adore it. Always, always with the curled lash beforehand, and Maybelline makes a perfectly good curler for tiny amounts of money. Sonya Kashuk is also good, but apparently Shu Uemura makes the mother of all eyelash curlers. I've never tried it but it would make a good CHRISTMAS PRESENT, hint hint.

tammyfaye

13 Comments:

Blogger Chalicechick said...

Better watch it.

Last time you started dropping hints about presents you got a UU thong out of it.

CC

2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a clever tip about the tweezers in the car. I often wish I had them there, because, as you say, the light is very, very good.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Theresa Coleman said...

I keep a pair of tweezers in the care for the very same reason....

5:17 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

I am related to Tammy Faye only in spirit, honey!
Tweezerama! So glad you all thought of it!

CC, PREZZIES! PREZZIES!

5:30 PM  
Blogger aola said...

I keep my tweezers in the car, too.

Great minds thinking alike.

I use Estee Lauder mascara, it's the only one I've found the doesn't irritate my eyes.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Rev. Erika said...

I found my mascara (is this pathetic to admit?) because it was one of the highly recommended products in a recent "O" (the Oprah magazine) issue: Cover Girl Lash Exact. Stays put, doesn't smudge, but doesn't take toxic chemicals to remove at night. Comb-y wand. Bright fuschia container. Love it!

As for tweezing, my electrolysis professional would gasp -- don't you wonderful women know that plucking makes a hair grow back bigger and stronger? I swear it's true, by the (now dead, thanks to her) hairs on my chinny-chin-chin!

9:44 PM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

A woman can never have too many pairs of tweezers: one for the car, one for the bathroom, one for the bedroom, one discreetly buried beneath a pillow on the sofa, one in the desk drawer in the office, one in the big purse, one in the little purse.

You just never know!!!!

11:17 PM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

Oh, and tip to any black folks reading this: eyelash curlers do not work on us!!! I think it's because we already have curly eyelashes. It's like a person with curly hair getting a curly perm - nothing happens.

11:18 PM  
Blogger ogre said...

Um.

Doesn't this violate the general commandment about not undertaking personal hygiene and grooming in public?aqgsmg

1:49 AM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Hafidha, REALLY? Ya'll have naturally curly lashes? I am making a super jealous face!

Ogre, the trick about stealth tweezing is to NOT GET CAUGHT.

11:35 AM  
Blogger ogre said...

PB, I just breathed a great sigh of relief.

I went ot bed certain I was going to hear something really snarky, something paralleling first removing the beam from one's eye...

I'm wearing jeans to church tomorrow.

Or shorts. Dear god, it's hot. The thermometer reads 85 degrees--inside the house. 102 in the shade outside, though it might be higher, because when I saw it go over 100, I packed it in and crept back inside.

And it's humid. Ok, it's not East Coast humid, but only an amphibian or a lunatic would live in that. Trust me, it's humid. Sticky.

I may sit on the patio and simply look in through the open sliding doors (there's no A/C). Doea that make my sartorial malfeasance less bad? And I'm utterly dreading having to be in the pulpit in late August. If the heat keeps up, who's going to care what the state of the Fellowship is? I'll be brief; molten. Let's go to the beach and have slushies and margharitas.

5:33 PM  
Blogger ronia the resilient said...

Almay makes a nice mascara for those of us who should live in a plastic bubble... ie, hypoallergenic, etc... But my fave mascara of all time is in a blue tube and it is waterproof brown mascara and you can only buy it at sally beauty supply.

Obviously, I haven't done that in a while so I've forgotten the name. But Almay works; doesn't make things itch, which is key.

Dame O

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i SWEAR by any l'oreal waterproof mascara.

i tried the maybelline great lash (or whatever it is in the pink/green tube) once after reading lots of raves about it in beauty mags, but it didn't give me that plush l'oreal *oomph*. after a week of test-driving it, it got demoted to being my travel-kit (i.e. emergency) mascara.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home