Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas Gifts

If you have a favorite hair stylist or colorist, masseuse or manicurist, please remember them at the holidays.
They are part of your self-care team, and you should give them a gift. It's also entirely appropriate to tip 100% of the cost of service in lieu of a gift, or however much you can afford.

Think about it: you give money to all kinds of good causes, you pledge or tithe to your church. This is part of the same deal. These are not the most well-paid people in our economy. They mostly work without benefits, and they put up with a lot of crap. If you have a good and steady relationship with them, don't forget them at the holidays.

I am getting my manicurist, hairstylist and hair colorist these Le Sport Sac cosmetic cases. I think they're going to love them! I love them! I was tempted to get one for myself! They're a bit expensive, but this is my fifth year with all these gals and that's special.

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7315_4666.html

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

$18 is expensive???? Is that the right link? I spend $150 on color and cut about four times a year. Well worth the money.

9:57 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Three gifts of $18 each for people who do your hair and nails is expensive for a minister, honeybunch.
And a big tip.

Glad to hear you're rolling in it!!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to being generous to the people who take care of us.

Those bags look like a lot of fun. I kept clicking on different patterns because I HAD to see more. I don't know how you can choose between them.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Caroline Divine said...

Hmmm, I posted a comment/question a day or two ago, it was there for a tiny bit, and then it vanished. Let me try again. I wonder what advice you'd have for a little present for my fabulous male hairdresser? I had the holiday haircut this week and gave him a much bigger than usual tip, but he really has been a godsend and I would love to do a little more for him (on my low salary). I moved here to the Southland 16 months ago after TEN years with the same hairdresser on the West Coast, so you can imagine the trauma (I have short hair, so a good haircut is vital) and I was very fortunate to find this guy after only two months in town. He's an artist with the scissors AND a sweetheart and I want to express my appreciation (which I do verbally on a regular basis)with a little something beyond the big tip. He works out regularly and I gather he is watching his waistline, plus I don't know his taste in sweets, so I don't want to go that route, and I haven't noticed his wearing any makeup so that little cosmetics kit won't do ;-). If I had a little more disposable income I'd get him a pair of tickets to a show, but that could get pricey. Any wisdom? Thanks. Happy Second Sunday of Advent from one of your many loyal Episcopal readers...

2:57 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Caroline, how about a gift certif for a manicure? He works with his hands, he might appreciate some pampering, and they're good for boys too!

Aside from that, you could get him a $10 gift card for i-tunes, because he may be jamming to an i-pod when he works out.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Caroline Divine said...

Good ideas, thanks!

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home