Tuesday, February 13, 2007

She Glued Rhinestones To Her Orthopedic Boot...

... bless her fabulous little heart!!

This from a fellow lover of shoes:


Hello PeaceBang,

Just wanted to tell you about my experience of the ministry of shoes. I like no, love shoes and they are always a topic of conversation with my parishioners on a Sunday morning. They comment on the height of the heel-high and the pointyness of the toes-very. When I broke my toe a week before my ordination, they all lamented as to what I would wear-I hot glued rhinestones to my orthopedic boot and they loved it. Just wanted you to know that I have embraced my shoeness and am not the least embarrassed by it, it just lets me know that my congregation loves me-shoes and all.

Thanks. I knew you'd understand.
D.

***

Dear D,
Indeed, I do understand. When I broke both of my ankles at the same time in 2000, one of the things that aged me even worse than the pain was the footwear. I couldn't step into a cute shoe or a heel for six months. Come to think of it, I wasn't wearing heels back then. I was living in Maryland and fairly new in the ministry and still reeling from the fact that having a "Rev." before my name seemed to have totally cancelled my attractiveness quotient in the eyes of every man I met. I felt like a frump and I'm afraid I was very much dressing the part.

When I moved back to Massachusetts to be the minister at one of the prettiest churches I have ever seen (the interior of our sanctuary is mauve pink!! How flattering to a girl's complexion!!) , I got some mojo back. My new surroundings were so pritty, I wanted to be pritty! My friend Nathan took me shopping for clothes my second summer here and when he noodged me to buy some heels and I replied that I was too plump to totter around on them, he put his hand on his hip and said, "Honey, if I can wear them, you can wear them!" Nathan, you have to know, is well over 6" tall and is not a slim boy. I've never seen him in drag, but I just know that he's utterly fabulous. I bought a pair of
9 West pumps that day and have never looked back.

Thanks for writing, sugarpie. Take good care of those tootsies.

Kiss of peace,
PeaceBang

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Chalicechick said...

That's the only acceptable excuse for wearing rhinestones that I've ever seen...

CC

7:31 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Pictures! We need pictures! Let's see the sparkly boot!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

YAY for you D!! So glad that you found this page!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Bishop Barbara Harris (the epitome of style) broke her ankle - the worst pain she said was wearing those "damn" orthopedic shoes and looking frumpy.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear, I truly hope that Nathan IS more than six inches tall, or there's just no hope for any of us.

:)

(picturing Spinal Tap and their Stonehenge getting trodden on by a dwarf)

5:31 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

:::totally howling::

Oh my God, the Stonehenge thing!!

My bad. Sorry for the typo. Wait 'til I tell Nathan! I will start calling him Teeny Tiny Pocket Nathan.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home