Sunday, March 18, 2007

Stay Hydrated!

Good Sabbath, my silver-voiced bringers of the good news!


Did you know that talking dehydrates you?
Not that you would want to be pulling over a big ole bottle of water and chugging on it during counseling sessions or preaching, but do keep some water handy so you can take a good draught afterwards. And do intentionally drink more water than you think you need to throughout the day. Experts tell us that by the time you actually feel thirsty, you're dehydrated.

PeaceBang has a little tip she would like to share with you that has helped her drink plenty of water: I fiill a big sports bottle with filtered water and throw an herbal tea bag in there, a shot of stevia for sweetening, and voila! Lightly flavored water with no calories, no chemicals and very low cost. Since it tastes so good, I drink more.

I really like Celestial Seasonings herbal tea in blueberry, strawberry and country peach. Oh, I'm sorry: Country Peach PASSION. Very sexy, that herbal tea. Catch me, I swoon!
Anyway, my very favorite herbal teas come from Canadian company La Cour Tisane and come in flavors like ginger pear, mango, starfruit and blackberry, but although I stock up every summer, I always run out mid-winter when the heat is going strong and I'm parched. If my summer plans include Montreal again, don't think that that tea isn't a big draw. I love, love, love it.

country peach passion*

Plenty of H2O is a necessity, my dears. Go ye and be quenched. As much as we love coffee, it's a diuretic, not a hydrator.


(* But as for their new flavor, Acai Mango... it was so icky that I actually returned it to the store!)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger revkjarla said...

I agree with the comments about the water. Always best to swig while not being seen. As I candidated this morning, someone thoughtfully place the water in the pulpit in full view...and I couldn't get at it until I actually got in the pulpit...I unfortunately had to crack the bottle open during the last lines of the hymn, before I preached, FROM THE PULPIT, but that was an emergency situation, out of my control. I attempted every bit of discreetness, but what's a preacher girl to do?

I am happy to say everything went well and I received a formal call this morning from such a warm congregation! Yahooo! I am so grateful.

Another herbal tea I loooove is Wild Raspberry by Stash. A tiny bit of stevia or splenda (horrors, I know) really brings out the flavors.

The loose fruit tisanes at TeaLuxe, in Boston, but also online, such as Kir Royale or Lady Hannah are delicious!

3:59 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Karla, whoo hoo!!! Mazel tov!!Many happy years!!!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder -- I needed it! I'm trying rosehips today. I don't like the taste of stevia so I'm going to go either with nothing or with what I often use as a sweetener because it's healthy and not all that caloric, maple syrup; but in the water I would put literally a few drops. We'll see how it tastes without, though, with just the rosehips tea and the water. Karla, congratulations! Do you find that because the water is cold and not the usual boiling, the taste takes a while to set in?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Caroline Divine said...

Report on the Rosehips:

I'm happy to say that this was a success. It tasted good, and I drank more water! And even with the cold water (well, room temp -- I hate ice in water) the flavor did filter in.

But I'd still love to hear what you two (and others) find with using cold water. It sure saves time and complication. (In the summer I make herbal tea the regular way and then ice it, but it does take extra time and pouring and cooling. This water bottle with tea bag dropped into it is a good solution -- less intense but it really does help.)

Gratefully,
Caroline the Rehydrated

7:55 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Caro, I keep my Brita filter out on the counter because I don't like very cold water. The tea steeps very well in room-temp H20.
Glad to know your innards are all dewy again!

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up on "sun tea" but I've heard it is a bacteria factory. I've found with black or green tea, if one puts the requisite number of bags in a pitcher in the fridge it is ready by dinnertime. I'd imagine herbal tea works the same way.

I actually like plain ole water, and I get about one of those big evian bottles every week and refill it three times a day--I know various sources don't recommend that but it works for me. I wash it out and let it dry at night, then recycle it when I get another.

Occasionally I'll put a drop of stevia in, and I'm a big fan of all sorts of herbal tea, just not cold. We like iced tea two ways: decaf green with lemon and lime and black tea sweetened with stevia or splenda or a mix of xyztol and one of the others in this house (since the grown ups probably average four cups of high octane coffee a day and the occasional diet coke, we get plenty of caffeine). The xyztol is an aquired taste--very minty in a gum like way--but it is refreshing and it is supposedly good for the teeth.

8:29 PM  
Blogger www.wholelifegardening.com said...

For better or worse, you can get almost anything on Amazon - including La Cour Tisane. So if you aren't planning a trip to Canada....

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am a student studying speech-language pathology. SLPs treat voice disorders and this is the advice we give people who use their voices professionally.

• Drink lots of water
• Balance caffeine intake with extra water consumption
• Limit vocal loudness; try to avoid talking over TV, radio, other people; use amplification when appropriate
• Balance excessive vocal use with vocal rest
• Minimize throat clearing – try swallowing with water first
• If you experience laryngitis, allow yourself time to heal by using a soft breathy voice or not talking at all.
• Don’t smoke and avoid using your voice in smoky environments
• Be aware of drying medications
• Humidify your home
• Gastroesophageal reflux is a common contributor to voice problems. If you have reflux, be sure to follow an anti-reflux regime to protect your voice
• If you sing often, warm up before performing/rehearsing and consider voice training to learn proper respiratory support and technique

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home