Monday, April 23, 2007

Here Comes The Sun, Little Darlings

Here on the Eastern seaboard, Bostonian-type people are wandering around in a happy daze, squinting like little moles and bumping into each other because the sun is finally out and we can't *see* anything!

PeaceBang is sure she doesn't have to remind you that the sun is getting more and more dangerous to human Earthlings all the time. So darlings, for real, please make serious sun protection a non-optional part of your daily toilette.

Find a good sunscreen with UVA/UBA protection and apply it DAILY, paying special attention to your face. Make sure your nose is covered. Get back into your hairline, where so many cancerous moles can develop. Keep your head covered if you're going to be outdoors for a long period of time. Protect your ears.

If you have sensitive skin and react badly to chemical sunscreens, PeaceBang encourages you to look into titanium dioxide-based sunblock, or any other of the physical sunblocks that are widely available on the market. These will not irritate your skin like the more typical old-school sunscreens.

PeaceBang Recommends

Highly Recommended

http://tinyurl.com/2amb2t
Derma Doctor Body Guard SPF 30. This is a fantastic product by Dr. Audrey Kunin that treats your skin as it protects it. It does not go on white and greasy even on dark black skins, absorbs beautifully, and kept the very fair-skinned PeaceBang from burning this weekend, which is amazing. $25 for 4oz.

Murad Oilfree Sunblock SPF 30
Wonderful smell, easily available, goes on well and lasts. $30

Peter Thomas Roth Ultralite Oilfree Sunblock
Slightly medicinal smell, but goes on very well and doesn't have much of a greasy sheen to it. $26


Not So Recommended
Bliss Oilfree Sunban Face SPF 30+
This goes on very liquidy, and has a slightly chickeny smell. Yuck. $27

Jason's Sunbrella Sunblock
A great buy at $11 but goes on like clown white. While I was able to rub it into my fair skin and look slightly less conspicuously white than Marcel Marceau, I cannot recommend it for anyone but the lightest of skins, and even then it leaves a weird other-worldly glow that may lead your friends to suspect that you've been taking pinches of arsenic.

Please, readers, submit your own favorites in the comments section! I use Neutrogena and Aveeno products myself, and highly recommend the Neutrogena (Aveeno seems to sweat right off). However, in the interest of not having to buy too many skin care products, I like to take advantage of the generous sample policy offered by Sephora, where their salesclerks are always incredibly helpful and willing to discuss the finer points of titanium dioxide with me and to let me smell, feel and take notes on every kind of product they offer. Kisses to them!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neutrogena has some good sunblocks too--they have the full spectrum protection, a nice texture, and are a little less expensive than some of the department store brands.

the spray sunscreen is great for the pool, and for kids (and reluctant spouses) because you just spray it's done in about a minute (not the face of course, but everywhere else).

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, especially for those with blue, green, and hazel eyes, for whom sun-caused eye cancers are a real risk: sunglasses. I wish I could find a pair that a) suited me and also b)I didn't lose four or five hours after purchase.

Love,
Henrietta

8:51 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Yes, please do recommend other brands! I review the products that I can get testers for, and Sephora is great at that, while drugstores aren't.

11:20 PM  
Blogger CAM said...

I use Alba Sea Moss Moisturizer from Botanica SPF 15, which is sold at earthy crunchy stores, and Whole Foods. It is wonderful and light and not filled with junk. I even gave some to my mom who has incredible stress-amplified rosacea and it helped. Go Sea Moss!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love La Roche-Posay brand "Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizing Cream with Sunscreen." SPF 15. It was mentioned in the NY Times in some skin care article, I tried it--sure enough, it is amazing. Best daily moisturizer I've found with sunscreen, feels just like regular moisturizer, not oily at all. Plus it has some scientific extra level of SPF involving UVB rays as well as the usual UVA rays. It's about 29.99 for a 3.4 oz bottle at CVS--I only use it on my face, a very small amount every morning, so it's been months and the bottle isn't finished yet. --cpt

10:03 AM  
Blogger Sonje said...

I like Coppertone Kids "Spectra 3" SPF 50 with Zinc Oxide. It is oil free and waterproof and helps protect my sometimes overly fair skin. I'm usually pretty sensitive to products and haven't noticed much of a reaction, although occasionally this has been known to dry me out when applying very frequently (in New Zealand I was applying 5-6 times a day). So, at night, I just use a good moisturizer.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home