Saturday, September 23, 2006

No, I Won't You Be Your Neighbor, And I Hate Your Pants


He Was Kidding, Right?
Originally uploaded by Peacebang.

This gorgeous hunka hunka burning love is apparently J.C. Chasez, a celebrity-oriented type person. Never hoid of him before.

He's very handsome. He's fit. He's young, he has beautiful skin and cute hair. So what's with the outfit? Is this supposed to be ironic? Or nostalgic? Or just kind of whimsically elegant? Because fish ain't biting. To my eyes it just looks silly, and totally out of character. It looks like a costume, which is always a mistake. He looks like he just escaped from a bus-and-truck of "Forever Plaid."

Fellas, we know that the REAL J.C. always unerringly fashionable. This J.C., not so much. Look how he's emasculated himself, made himself a walking expression of sarcasm, and just plain dressed like a foo'. (As in,"Hey foo'! What's with the plaid pants!")

I know a good number of clergy gents who attempt this look on some level as a way of working the tranquil, unthreatening Rev. Fred McFeely Rogers vibe, but believe me, they mostly don't succeed. Even if you have a sort of avant-garde cardigan like this one, and you think you're dressing it up with a tie, think twice before emulating Monsieur Chasez. If you're truly gentle and fatherly, and you're over 60, maybe you can carry it off. If you're young and handsome, don't don this kind of ensemble as a way of underplaying your natural hotness. It might just make you look weirdly pervy, like this guy. And Lord knows we don't need that.

Thus spaketh the Bang, who when she sees plaid pants, always thinks "Darien Country Club," and not in a good way.

Thanks to the Go Fug Yourself gals for the photo.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

J.C. is from N'Sync...when they were still around. So he can get away with it because he was in a boy band.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Peregrinato said...

Sweetie, this was quite the look in Quebec. I even picked up a nice simple black cardigan at Simons. (Note I'll wear it with different pants.)

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear PeaceBang,

My son brought home a three page rule book for dressing for success on the high school debate team. You would have approved, I think...they all have to dress like ministers, and getting a rangy high school crowd to do that is quite a trick. (expensive, too!)

I was puzzled by one command on the girl's side, which was, under no circumstances should the well dressed female debator wear white shoes.
Can you enlighten me on this?
What color shoes does a well dressed female wear with white dress or suit?

Thanks,

Kevin's Mom

9:13 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Kevin's Mom, I'm just nonplussed! I guess my first question is: why would the girls be in white suits in the first place? They're not making them wear white, are they? That would be TOO WEIRD. I think they're just messin' witchya.

That said, if there's some weird insistence on white, I think a nice taupe shoe would work, or a ... well, it so depends on the fabrics. Are you in Florida? Maybe they should wear pink shoes!? My head hurts. You'll have to send me a photo. Would you? Because I'd love to understand this better.
lunadiva@msn.com

9:17 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

James, we love Quebec, but let's not let them dictate our fashion choices. Even though the people in Montreal are the most gorgeous and fashionable of anywhere I've been.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Peregrinato said...

Sadly, I am of the school that "American fashion choices" is an oxymoron...we may have to agree to disagree.

9:28 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

I just don't want you going around looking all twee like that.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Berrysmom said...

I don't even think he's that good looking. What is with this two day beard look, anyway? Guess I'm just old fashioned, but to me it says "I couldn't be bothered to take a shower and shave for you."

And look at those eyes. I say he's stoned.

1:41 PM  
Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

JC Chasez always dresses like this. He is all about plaids (with) stripes, funky patterns, contrasting (mismatching?) colors, fedoras, ties, sweaters, zoot suits, whatever. It's just his style. He's been on a lot of worst dressed lists, but doesn't seem to care.

p.s. I know who he is because he was on The Mickey Mouse Club for years (I had a major crush on him). Eventually he became a member of NSync, along with Justin Timberlake and a couple of other people whose names I don't recall.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with berrysmom. He needs a shave. What I think when I see someone with that much stubble is not "Wow is he handsome," but "Ouch would it ever hurt to kiss that."

Amy

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home