Sunday, January 28, 2007

Corduroy Jumpers Yet Again



Originally uploaded by Peacebang.

You know how I occasionally display just the tiniest bit of flexibility about one of my iron-clad clergy fashion rule?

You don't?
Well, I do! It's just *very* occasional.

Like I might say, "Please don't wear batik muu-muus... UNLESS you're lounging at the pool having drinks with colleagues at the end of a hard day at a conference in Scottsdale, Arizona." Or, "You should never, ever ever carry a cotton tote bag to a formal networking event... UNLESS your professional handbag or briefcase was stolen and you've just come from filling out a police report and didn't have time to change bags."

Sometimes I'll betray my own instincts and say to colleagues, "That shapeless smock would look appropriate for work if you make sure to add some fun earrings and do your hair and make-up nicely."


But I have seen the error of my ways. I will never again betray your trust and lie to you. You have Miss Mandy Moore above to thank for my new resolve.

Mandy is wearing what PeaceBang refers to as The Corduroy Jumper. PeaceBang fears and loathes the Corduroy Jumper, as it is too often worn by clergywomen who would apparently rather communicate, "It's juice and cookies time!" than "I am a serious religious leader."

Mandy's jumper is actually fashionable. She is wearing fashionable shoes and fashionable opaque stockings. Her hair is gorgeous and her make-up impeccable (if far too sultry for clergy gals). And yet for all that, all I can think of when I look at her is

Romper stomper bomber boo

Tell me tell me tell me do...

So let PeaceBang retract an earlier ruling she may have handed down regarding the Corduroy Jumper. If I ever said that female clergy might be able to get away with wearing one to church if you wear polished hair and make-up, I take it back.

I take it waaaay back. Unless you're wearing it for the Pilgrim Pageant, that is, playing John and Priscilla Alden's great aunt named Patience or Mercy or Prudence or Fortitude.

* Photo of Miss Moore courtesy of Go Fug Yourself, taken Jan 21, 2007 in Park City, UT.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger LaReinaCobre said...

I think Mandy was playing a little bit of dress up here - going for the slightly old fashioned country girl look. I think it works for her in Sundance. Jumpers are really in these days, but it's a very, very young look. Kind of like empire waists.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks about 12 months pregnant. Is that justification enough?

8:33 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

It may be time to repeat the advise you once gave me whilst I was at General Convention. I have taken that advise to heart. Never again will I wear pink flamingo flip-flops and my Boston RedSox cap to a bar for a late night tex-mex dinner and chardonnay.

Oh, and PeaceBang, my sister, have I told you? You Totally Rock!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet for all that, all I can think of when I look at her is

Romper stomper bomber boo

Tell me tell me tell me do...


Oh, how I've missed this blog. Welcome back, PeaceBang!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth+, please

no Chardonnay with Tex-Mex.

Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling with the Fish dishes, Zin or Cotes-du-Rhone with the meat dishes.

rxbntp

hpb
Sommelier
Austin, TX

12:23 AM  
Blogger Caroline Divine said...

Red wine with fish is fine if it matches the type of fish.

Brouilly is always good with fish. Problem is, there isn't that much Brouilly this side of the Atlantic, or when there is, you want someone else to be paying for your dinner.

But I agree that Chardonnay with Tex-Mex is not the thing. Better a nice cerveza (beer) or a not too light red.

Then again, Elizabeth should drink what makes her happy.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home